1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Roosters??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CountryMom, Jun 22, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, newbie question here. I have just gotten into chickens this spring and mine are all around 3 to 4 months old right now. Some are younger as I bought more a few weeks apart. I do have one older Rooster also. I ended up with four Roosters - including the older rescued one. How well do they do living together in a coop with one set of hens? I have one listed already on craigslist since I do not have any matching hens of his breed (brahma) and I am trying to decide what to do with the others. I think my kids would revolt on me if I processed one for the freezer, but then it may come to that. They do get to free range, but I can already see some of the hens have damage to their feathers on their backs from the older Rooster. Is it better to build a couple more pens and seperate them? Obviously the hens would probably like a break, but can I just put Roosters together with no hens? None of these guys so far are showing any aggression. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, my first 2 hatches got me more roos than hens. They were all together, and got taken out when they caused trouble. Now I have 2 with 8 girls, and 2 male silkies with one hen.
    I did have a bachelor pad, and it worked out fine. But, 3 of the roos went bonkers when I came near them, and they went to the feed store for sale..
    If you want to try, you can make a bachelor pad. Some do work.

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    THat is good to know there is a chance of a rooster house working. Two of the roosters I would seriously like to keep, but then I don't want all the damage I am seeing done to the hens. My daughter keeps asking me to order those saddles for them. I just am not so sure that would solve the problem! I am hoping the two young ones I want to keep will grow up being nice to us and each other.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    There's only one way to find out. But I think 2 roos living together will work, hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by