How many should I set?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Knittycat, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    What kind of losses should I expect when I hatch. If I only want 8 chickens, how many eggs should I incubate, and how many should I expect to die in chickhood (admitedly, I over bought chicks two years ago, expecting two or so to die, and they all lived.)
    I understand shipped eggs are expected to have at least a 50% mortality rate, so 16 to get 8 chickens? But then I have to account for the 50% chance of roosters (I only want one), so 32? 32 eggs for 8 surviving chickens? That seems high. Am I figuring right?

2. qtmomo112

qtmomo112 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    i set 25 eggs, 22 days ago. I removed 7 that were infertile (b/c the farm is free range) and 5 that died before day 15. leaving me with 13 and i have 9 chicks in the brooder this morning with another pipped and another chirping away in the egg. Hopefully this helps you figure out how many eggs you want to get. But remember all odds are different.

3. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Were your eggs shipped?

4. qtmomo112

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    No they came from a local farm.

5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Hmmm. So maybe 32 isn't a crazy amount to get 8 keepers.

6. qtmomo112

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    i would agree cause you'll have to figure on roos that you dont want to keep.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Just watch, I'll be "lucky" and all 32 will hatch and thrive, but they'll all be roosters! and I'll have to offload them on Craigs List.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Shipped eggs are so hit or miss it's impossible to say what to expect. I've tried shipped eggs three times. I've come to the conclusion that my regional mail system is horrid. Where I get well over 80% to hatch from my own eggs I get 25% hatching from shipped. Though you read of people getting 90% hatching from shipped eggs so it's ultimately the mail system, all mine were perfectly packaged, so up the east coast is damaging to egg success. This spring I'll try eggs shipped from central US with hopes they fair better. Your not going to know until you try. If you ordered two dozen and get a few extra thrown in it'd be a good try at it. Hopefully your worst case scenario will be having to choose the best pullets and rooster to keep.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  9. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Shipped eggs are a play I bought 27 eggs from a board member shipped from Iowa to CA and ended with 8 chicks and now I have only 3 of them. Too risky for me, I expended 82 dollars for only 8 chicks that's s^&#$

10. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    heh. For some reason I've got a 'good feeling' about this. So hopefully it will pan out and I'll get a decent hatch. Good news though, one of the people I'm considering buying eggs from lives nearish to me and I can pick them up. So my olive eggers ought to have a good hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by