1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many sides of coop for windows - is my idea OK?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kiwiegg, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    I finished the raised floor for my 8'x8' walk-in coop today and want to get cracking on my framing! i picked up 4 nice used vinyl windows a couple of years back dirt cheap for my coop. Do chookies like a dark area in their house or should I put windows on all four walls? Would they like a nice window to watch the sun come up right in front of their roost?

Right now my plan is to just have windows on two sides that get the most sun and leave the north and north/west sides without windows - my thinking (more like stewing) is that the cold winter northerlies could be an issue with a window. I was also thinking about using the coop pvc nest hatches (seen here today) on one of the windowless walls.

I know that this is a rambling sort of thread but I'm trying to get these things right the first time. Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    We too am in the middle of building our coop. we decided to put windows on just the south facing wall.

My south wall is just about all windows. we do have a window in the door, it is on the east wall.

Like you said north winds and all. We are trying to keep drafts out and have good ventilation even in the winter. they need lots of good fresh air.

we won't have any heat in our coop so the south windows will bring in lots of warm sunshine. Well that's the plan anyway.

3. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Oops for got to mention I have our nest boxes facing the north wall, so they enter from the back. this should keep it darker back there for them and safer feeling.

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have windows on all 4 walls. I want there to be lots of air circulation in the summer and a choice of which windows to open if it's raining/cold/windy. They don't seem to mind it. We've been getting 9-11 eggs daily on most days from 11 hens. The nest boxes are covered on all sides but the front so it may be a little dark-ish in there when they're laying.

5. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the responses! The problem is that you BOTH have sensible, rational ideas but they are so different!!! Maybe I will compromise and have 3 walls with windows...[​IMG]

6. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    LOL [​IMG]

7. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    for got to mention we will not have heat in our coop for winter so drafts are a no..no...for us.

8. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes, in our neck of the woods a -20F "draft" is no joke!

9. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    We are still building our coop too. we would like to move the girls in soon.

This will be the first winter we will not heat the coop.

The plan for the building includes 3 walls completely draft free. which are the N...W..&....E...walls.

I do have a door in the W wall that has a window in it. hope it won't be an issue for us.

The style of our coop is a half monitor coop from the 1920's or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by