1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How many spare roos to keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always kept a roo around, but now that I'm going to try my hand at breeding certain breeds, how many spare roos do you keep on hand? I learned only keeping one was not a good idea when my Marans roo got injured and his two sons weren't old enough yet to do the job. It's not like I can just run out to the poultry sale and get another of these breeds if something happens him. Do you keep a bachelor pen with the spares?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Katy, like you, I want to keep a specific flock so my guess would be to keep a bachelor pen as you suggested. Speckled Hen has one I believe? I know when I get my blue orps I will find it hard to get rid of any whether they be roos or pullets. [​IMG] Took too long to get them to just get rid of them. Now watch, I will end up with all roos [​IMG]

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Im planning on having at least a few spare roos in my Blues. 2-3 in my blacks and 2 in my buffs. I only have my Splash now and it wouldnt be good if I lost him. I do have many roos to choose from. I might be keeping more because of showing. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do have two Orp roosters at the moment and they get along real well so far, one my older Blue and my young year old Black....

I only have my one Light Brahma rooster and need to have another one .....

So yup Katy needing to build or house a rooster pen just for the extras here too.....

Got lots of Orp boys to pick from so I do!....lol

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Tuff, I hope one day I will be "run amuck with orpingtons" [​IMG] Love that title.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes...I've got several Blue orp roos to chose from!! I really don't want have to build ANOTHER pen!!!! [​IMG] I don't want to run into what I did with my Marans tho.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Awww Katy...Hubby goes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] everytime I say I need a new pen!....lol

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't even try and get mine to help [​IMG] ....I just start working on it myself. He thinks I've got waaay too many chickens as it is!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: