How many spare roos to keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always kept a roo around, but now that I'm going to try my hand at breeding certain breeds, how many spare roos do you keep on hand? I learned only keeping one was not a good idea when my Marans roo got injured and his two sons weren't old enough yet to do the job. It's not like I can just run out to the poultry sale and get another of these breeds if something happens him. Do you keep a bachelor pen with the spares?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Katy, like you, I want to keep a specific flock so my guess would be to keep a bachelor pen as you suggested. Speckled Hen has one I believe? I know when I get my blue orps I will find it hard to get rid of any whether they be roos or pullets. [​IMG] Took too long to get them to just get rid of them. Now watch, I will end up with all roos [​IMG]

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Im planning on having at least a few spare roos in my Blues. 2-3 in my blacks and 2 in my buffs. I only have my Splash now and it wouldnt be good if I lost him. I do have many roos to choose from. I might be keeping more because of showing. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do have two Orp roosters at the moment and they get along real well so far, one my older Blue and my young year old Black....

I only have my one Light Brahma rooster and need to have another one .....

So yup Katy needing to build or house a rooster pen just for the extras here too.....

Got lots of Orp boys to pick from so I do!....lol

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Tuff, I hope one day I will be "run amuck with orpingtons" [​IMG] Love that title.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes...I've got several Blue orp roos to chose from!! I really don't want have to build ANOTHER pen!!!! [​IMG] I don't want to run into what I did with my Marans tho.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Awww Katy...Hubby goes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] everytime I say I need a new pen!....lol

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't even try and get mine to help [​IMG] ....I just start working on it myself. He thinks I've got waaay too many chickens as it is!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by