How many T-Posts?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chantay, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Chantay

Chantay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    I will soon be installing a fence for a herd of 4 goats. I do not have the goats yet. I think that I am going to purchase a roll of goat fence from Tractor Supply. How many feet per T-Post do I need? Thanks!

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I think we spaced ours out for 5 feet apart. We used that fencing for a dog area off the back of our house. It depends on how big an area your fencing too.

Bluemoon

3. Chantay

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    Thanks! The fencing comes in 330 ft rolls. I was planning on making a square out of the entire roll.

4. Bluemoon420

Figure about 5 feet apart as a guideline. The corners need braces, so those might be closer. Get a can of spray paint ( we used orange), and mark where you think you want the posts. You'll get a good visual before you place posts in the ground, and realize you got to pull them out. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

5. Chantay

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    What should I use for the corner braces?

6. Bluemoon420

The same posts you use to put in ground. You will need corner brackets for those. You slip the posts in the corner brackets, and adjust from there.

I don't know if you have a tractor supply near you, but you can look on their site to see what I'm talking about. I believe Home Depot, and maybe Lowes carries all that stuff also.

Bluemoon

7. Bluemoon420

I had to post back. I don't remember if we bought different posts for the corners, but they are basically the same posts minus the "T" at the bottom for putting in the ground. I THINK my DH took the bottom part off the posts for using as braces in the corners. If that makes sense. [​IMG]

Only other thing I can offer as advice is.... The fencing doesn't stretch well like chain link will. It will try to sag, so try to get it as tight as possible. It was a learning experience for sure, but it came out nicely for a couple of fence noobs. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by