1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many times a day do you turn?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Delmar, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Hand turners
    How many times a day do you turn your eggs?
    Do you simply rotate them or do you change the angle of the tilt. I have been laying them flat on their side for one turn. Then putting them at a 45 degree angle on the next. Also turning them a half turn in the same direction each turn.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I mark my eggs with an X on one side and an O on the other side. I also put an arrow to remind me which way to turn them. If you look at the picture I've attached you turn them to the right and then turn them back to the left. In other words only a half turn. Do this at least 3 times a day, and alway an odd number. Either 3 or 5 times, your choice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  3. Michigan Transplant

Michigan Transplant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Marionville, MO
    Not sure if I did something wrong or different but three weeks ago I put 7 eggs into the mini Bresnia I got and didn't check to see if they were fertile or what. They are supposed to hatch today. This morning I checked them and didn't see anything so took off for the day. I thought I heard chirping this morning but then there were birds outside the window so thought that was what it was. Just went in a few minutes ago to get dressed for bed and as I walked past the bator one of the eggs moved. I watched it a few minutes and it did it again so went and got my hubby and he noticed that two of the other eggs have a chipped spot of the shell missing. So guess there are at least three hatching out tonight or tomorrow.
    WHAT I DID WRONG was there is NO way to have one end of the egg stick up for an air pocket for the chick so I took my chances like the chickens do in the nest box and left them laying flat. I might not have all the eggs hatch because of this. I did the x & o on the side(s) of the egg and would turn them while they were laying down flat always to the right. Did this every 6 hours or so even in the middle of the night. I really didn't think they would hatch since the end was laying flat and everyone else says to have one end up for an air pocket. Guess the chickens don't know to leave them with one end up so MAYBE I did alright. Will know tomorrow if they are alright and all hatch or what.
    Sure hope everyone else is doing alright with their eggs in the bator. GOOD LUCK!!!

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I always hand turn my eggs in my homemade incubator and the eggs are always laying flat. They only thing you did wrong (if you want to say wrong) is you turn them to the right and then back to the left ( X -> and O <- ). That's the only thing I would do different in the future, but if you have chicks hatching than look at it as a success.

5. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    I dunno if this is right but I only turned my eggs once a day and they are hatching as I'm typing.

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I turn twice a day, once before work and once when I get home. If im gome on the weekend I'll turn them once or twice extra.

7. tigtoy

tigtoy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Maple Ontario
    mark x's and o's to keep track or just make like a char of how many times you've already turned lol.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My hand-turned eggs get turned once or twice a day, whenever I remember them [​IMG]

9. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I turn my eggs 5 times a day and keep track of when I turn and what the thermo/hygrometers say every time I open the bator. I have x's and o's on either side. They lay in the incubator on their sides with all the pointy ends pointing in the same direction. I tip the eggs onto the pointy end and "spin it" to the other side and lay it back down gently. Just habit. I don't think it matters how you do it, but that's what I do. [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Really? Wow, talk about overkill...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by