How many times do you feed your chickens each day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by penut1799, Apr 10, 2011.

1. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    Hi! I am VERY new to chickens and stuff. If anyone can tell me how many times you feed your chickens that would be really helpful! [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    I check their food once a day but they have food all day long to eat whenever they want. They really don't overeat.

3. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I agree. They have hanging feeders which are kept full. I check on them and give them extra treats once a day.

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

5. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    Ok! I will do that. Thank you! [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Chickens don't overeat, so I recommend free feeding, i.e. food always available, along with clean, fresh water, grit and oyster shell.

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I used to free feed until I had a rodent problem. So not they get kitchen scraps in the morning before I leave for work and I feed them layer feed in the afternoon when I get home. The only birds who have food 24/7 are the chicks, until they are about 12 weeks old. By that time they are usually integrated with the rest of the flock and get the same feeding schedule. When I have a mixed flock like that I switch to Flockraiser or some other combination that does not have calcium in it and provide the calcium free choice to the layers only.

8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

I also give mine treats once a day, but only so much that they can finish up quickly, say in 10-15 minutes. Mostly fruit & veggie scraps (no raw beans or potato peels), bread, oatmeal, scratch grains, etc. My girls do love bananas!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Very good plan when you get the rodents hanging around. We have a zillion rats snakes here, I never see the rodents. Unfortunately, I have many close encounters with rat snakes! [​IMG]

I feed Flock Raiser all the time now, makes it easy since I usually have a mix of chicken ages and ducks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  10. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I feed once a day, only what they will clean up by nightfall. If I free feed I have major rats issues. In the winter I give them a snack before bed to holkd them over during the long cold night.

I feed either layer crumbles or game bird grower crumbles with other high protein/high fat treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by