How many times to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by S n M Poultry, Apr 21, 2008.

1. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    How many times a day do i need to feed my birds? I feed them once a day but the have hanging feeders so it lasts them most of the day. Do i need to feed them more than once a day? I do clean and refill the wateres about 3-4 times a day.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I prefer to keep feed available at all times. If they empty the feeder by the end of the day I hang a second one so that they always have feed in front of them. This is for laying hens, not meat birds.

If you're finding it necessary to clean and fill waterers three and four times a day I'd reexamine the set up to find a better way.

.....Alan.

3. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Ok thanks

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    keep the feeder full so they can have feed 24/7.the more they eat the better their egg production will be.

5. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Do we need to provide feed and water when they go in for the night or do they just roost and poop all night? thanks.

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    to keep birds put of the feed.id keep it in the coop.water can be kept out in the run.

7. jacca5

jacca5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    I have a feeder in with my hens that holds a 50 pound bag of feed that has worked best for me.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have hanging feeders that hold 22lbs each. I have 2 in the main coop and several built in feeder boxes. I don't go out to feed. I go out to collect eggs daily. Every few days I top off the feeders.

9. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    YES, KEEP FOOD AND WATER AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Feed and water kept 24/7 for the hens...refresh water twice a day and make sure the feeders are full...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by