How many toes in Showmanship?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkielover249, Aug 14, 2013.

1. silkielover249

silkielover249 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    So i have a sweet little silkie roo that I'd like to show in showmanship. great and easy to handle only problem is he has on one of his feet only four toes, his two back ones grew togeher. He gets around just fine, but i'm wondering if this willbe a disqualification in showmanship?
    I'll post a pic later

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Silkies need 5 toes on both feet to be good show birds. Missing toes will get a lot of points deducted and you won't want to breed him because of that.

3. silkielover249

Jul 11, 2013
    Ok so I probably shouldn't show him?

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Locally, yes. At a big chicken show, no. Have great showmanship and that can get you an award. If you have another silkie with all 10 toes I would pick that one though.

5. silkielover249

Jul 11, 2013
    Ok great, thanks I will do that, I have 4 other silkies with all ten

6. silkielover249

Jul 11, 2013
    Thank you!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Read the rules for the show. In some cases, showmanship birds must be entered in exhibition. In other shows they CANNOT be. And in many it doesn't matter.

Without the correct number of toes, he would be DQed in exhibition. In showmanship that would not be an issue at all, although you need to thoroughly know your showmanship bird, including its good points, its faults and its DQs, and if appropriate in speaking with the judge, present that information. What is more important in showmanship is your handling of and knowledge of your bird and chickens in general. A well-trained and conditioned barnyard mix with a knowledgeable handler is better for showmanship than a perfect to standard bird that has no training or repertoire with its unknowledgeable handler.

In exhibition the bird is judged to the SOP. In showmanship, the knowledge and bird handling by the human is judged.

8. silkielover249

Jul 11, 2013
    Ok great, thank you so much for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by