How many treatments for mites ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sparky134, Jan 19, 2010.

1. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    I have treated my flock for mites 3 consecutive Mondays in a row. (dusting (3x) iver pour-on (2x) ). Is this enough? Do I need to treat for a few more weeks?? Should I dust on a monthly basis??

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Mites are a hard thing to beat; especially if wild birds have access to where the chickens are at. This time of year (winter) most of us with free-range birds just try to keep them under control. Based on what you've said, I think you can safely move to once a month for now. Recognize though that they may be back: just keep and eye out for them

Also, alternate what you are using to treat them: Sevin, Malathion, Pyrethrin, Deet.... saladin

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh Sparky, that`s a lot. Ivermectin Pour On is a one shot deal. Dunno how you applied it, but I put a few drops at the base of the back of the neck while they are on the roost and that pretty well kills all the lice/mites for 6 months or so. You should dust the coop and run real good with Sevin dust. If they have leg mites, oil the roost with anykind of oil. Don`t overdo the Ivermectin. That`s some powerful stuff........Pop

4. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Ivermectin helps but is not a for sure thing with external parasites as it applies to poultry. The Ivermectin pour-on works least of all with poultry external parasites.

If you decide to use Ivermectin buy the injectable form for cattle: then give it by mouth thru a syringe at the rate of 3 drops for a bantam and 5-10 drops for a large fowl (depends on the size of the lg. fowl).

Ivermectin is good for 3 months. saladin

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, there ya go. Never too old to learn. I was goin by the lable and had the notion that Ivermectin Pour On was really strong stuff. All I can say is, it has worked well for me as noted and has rescued me in several infestations over many years. I don`t keep hundreds of birds anymore and don`t mind taking advice from those that do..........Pop

6. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Pop,

Ivermectin for me is as close to a miracle drug as they come now-a-days/ for what it is. Mites are just tough little buggers. lol. At least these southern mites are! ha.

your neighbor, saladin

7. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks for all the info..I did treat the coop before the first dusting. (sprayed all cracks with permethrin 10%, changed out the bedding, sprinkled DE and permethrin dust under new bedding) I had dusted the chooks with a permethrin product, next time I'll use sevin..They did not have scaley leg mites but I couldn't tell if they were mites or lice and I thought I'd dust and treat with iver pour-on just in case. I thought you had to do a double dose of the pour-on (7 day spans) for the eggs of the lice?? After inspecting them closer I definetly think it was lice due to the egg sacks on the feather shafts, I had read that the sacks will stay there until the next molt..My old bedding was straw now I put down wood shavings I'm wondering if the straw might have had the parasites in it. I just love the shavings so much easier to clean..Thanks again for your input like I had said I was just wondering if I can back off the dusting, which I think I will..

8. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Pop,

Somehow I overlooked the 3x Ivermectin pour on in the first post: I just saw the dusting. My apologies! You are of course right on the money that is overkill taken to an extreme with the Ivermectin.
    saladin

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    How often do you use Sevin in the cold months.

10. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Sissy,
    I try to use some sort of insecticide about once a month: at least in the breed pens. If I see mites then I threat every 7 to 10 days for 3 times. I use a spray instead of dust as the dust makes my allergies go nuts. Supposedly, spray last longer, but I'm not sure it does; particulary, if it starts raining a lot. saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by