1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many treats should I give my pullets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenraiser24, Nov 1, 2015.

1. chickenraiser24

chickenraiser24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2015
    So, I looked at the treat chart, and it isn't very clear about how much I should give them. By 'treats' I mean lettuce, cheese, or bread. Right now I give them a small amount every other4-7 days. Any suggestions?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Treats such as scratch, mealworms, and greens or table scraps should comprise no more than 15%-20% of the diet. Meat and dairy should only be fed 1-2 times a week at most and included in the 15%-20% limit. Scratch can be fed daily but should comprise no more than 5% of the diet.

If you notice feed consumption go down you are feeding too many treats.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  3. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    you can feed them treats daily in moderation. you don't want to make it a significant portion of their diet, especially if it's high in fat/salt/etc... no more then say 10% of their diet. the lettuce you can feed it as free choice but it has essentially no nutritional value so you don't want them to indulge on it and not get adequate nutrition.

4. chickenraiser24

chickenraiser24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2015
    Oh, I've made sure it is not more than 10 percent. Thanks for the information! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by