How many 'wash'/'don't wash' your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, Sep 3, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls have recently begun to start laying..........hooray!!!
    But now I am wondering what is up with people 'washing' their eggs?
    What is the purpose?
    And is it truly necessary?

Thanks!!

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I dont wash unless REALLY dirty then used right away or put in fridge. Otherwise, they sit till I use them.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I use a little soft brush to remove any pooh or red spots but usually a quick rinse is all cause they look so clean...but then again it just dropped out a chickens butt so I rinse them off and let dry before I put them in fridge!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When you wash an egg or lightly sandpaper it or rub it, you remove a coating, called bloom, that helps prevent bacteria from entering the porous shell. If you refrigerate the egg or use it fairly soon, it is no big deal. Just treat an egg you wash as you would treat an egg you bought from the store. Those are washed.

When you wash an egg, the wash water should be at least 10 degrees F warmer than the egg. The egg contains an air sac that has air in it. If you wash an egg in colder water than the egg, the air sac will contract, creating a suction that can suck water into the egg. This water that is sucked in may carry bacteria.

If you plan to incubate an egg, you do not want to wash it. The bloom helps protect the egg from bacteria.

You asked why do people wash eggs? To remove dirt, usually poop. Is it necessary? Maybe not really necessary to some people, but I am not putting a poopy egg in my refrigerator.

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I don't wash them unless they have poop stuck to them.

6. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    dont wash - if they are dirty i use them for the dogs/hogs or use a paper towel to wipe off.

7. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    We only wash the poop off! And then I just run them under some cold water and wipe with a paper towel

8. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I just wash the poop off if im refrigerating. If im incubation then I scrape it off with my nails so I dont' take the bloom off too.

9. unemployed chicken

unemployed chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Brightwood, OR
    It took alot of nest box/roost engineering to make sure I dont get poopy eggs, but I dont. So I dont wash. Washing just for the sake of washing is not necessary to my knowledge. Poop is another story of course!

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i so don't wash my eggs. i got passed the occasional poop spot and said, what the heck, i doubt i'll die. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by