how many weeks grow out on kosher kings or white meat maker?

beanmcnulty

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Baltimore, OH
I can't seem to find a specific grow out time in weeks (to 3-4# dressed) for these guys. From what I gather it is similar to Freedom Rangers (12 weeks?), but I am not sure. These are offered by a few PA hatcheries that have been discussed previously. I am planning my batches for next season and will be staggering them with Delawares, my last batch of Delawares I took to 16-18 weeks (3-4#). Thanks ahead!
Shelly

The KK will dress out in 11-12 weeks 4-5 lbs and are a good bird. Have not done the whites. Just don't tell anyone on here how much cheaper they are than FR and we can keep buying them for .60 cents each not a 1+ each. LOL

Quote:
Great! Thanks guys they sound huge
smile.png
Just wanting to try a slower ranger that doesn't take quite as long as my Dels.

Not a problem, let us know how they do for you. So are you going to do KK, white or red meat makers?

Quote:
I am leaning toward red meat makers only because there will hopefully be less pin feather issues/prettier carcass than with KK. Although I guess that would depend on the shade of red! I am shying away from white due to CX aversion!
tongue.png

I spoke with Nolls hatchery and he is the one who breeds these birds, I doubt you will have any cornish problems with these birds no matter the color. LOL Hey have you noticed how the FR people don't even discuss these birds?? Or the MT-DI birds? I wonder why since they are all comming from PA anyway for the most part and the FR cost so much more? Oh well I guess some people don't want to find or try anything else.

Quote:
Or maybe they just really like the word Freedom
smile.png
Thanks for the info on the color- I am planning on calling myself before I order in late winter. I was day dreaming the other day, I know folks sometimes take these hens and breed back to DP roos, have you done this? I think I read you have to feed restrict them? It would be nice to be able to hatch something similar in performance on my own...just taking the F1s and never breeding past them.

No I have not done that all though I thought of it. Or even crossing these with a FR and hatching the eggs in a incubator. I think it could be done, I would definitly restrict the food just because of the problems the size alone would cause. Heck maybe even a cross to a Cornish or a Rosambro for more breast? Who knows what will and won't work till you try it.

Back
Top Bottom