How many weeks old to process Frypan specials?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by orchidman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. orchidman

orchidman New Egg

Mar 8, 2010
    I've got 30 frypan special roos. Wondering how many weeks old till process size. They are 12 weeks now and seem just a touch skinny. I free range and provide 21% protein feed. The problem I'm having is they are getting really loud and also harassing my layer hens. I can't separate them unless I quit free ranging.

2. Darwin

Darwin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Delaware County Ohio
    My opinion ( and you know what is said about opinions) is go ahead and butcher. The last batch of frypan specials I had were raised to 16 weeks. Yes they were bigger but they were also some tough birds. I would take the smaller birds in a heartbeat over bigger tough ones.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Those frypan specials are often Leghorn cockerels, they aren't going to get very big, and they'll always be skinny. I'd say butcher now, while they're tender and skinny, rather than later when they're still skinny, but tough.

Besides, when they start to be a PITA, it's time to eat them.

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Butcher them NOW and cut your losses !!!

5. orchidman

orchidman New Egg

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. They certainly are becoming a PITA. I actually got a mix of I "thinK" Barred rocks, white tipped cornish, a few EE, yes probably some leghorns and a couple types I'm not sure of. I definitly won't do the EE's yet cause they are slower growing. Here's a picture of some that were near the coup this afternoon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would do the EE first. One all mine were mean. Two they make a lot of noise. They crow very early in the morning and not just once but all morning all day all night every day. You said a PITA that is an EE roo. They won't have any meat even if you let them go a few weeks. Mine were at 20 wks or so and no they didn't have any meat.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    probably just me but I would let the BR's go 20 weeks and get a nice big bird.

8. dancingbear

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:I would do the EE first. One all mine were mean. Two they make a lot of noise. They crow very early in the morning and not just once but all morning all day all night every day. You said a PITA that is an EE roo. They won't have any meat even if you let them go a few weeks. Mine were at 20 wks or so and no they didn't have any meat.

Since EE's are mutts, a mix of Araucana or Americauna, (or some of both) and anything else, often several anything elses, it's really not possible to accurately predict how big they'll get, whether they'll be mean, or anything else. My EE roos have acted pretty much about the same as my other roos. Some have been huge, some have been small. All roos can crow all day long, and many do. It has more to do with individual roos, and how many roos you have, than the breed. Some breeds may tend to vocalize more than others, but you'd never know from mine. They all make a lot of racket, especially when you have more than 2 or 3 at a time.

9. labhaven

labhaven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I just processed a couple buff orp roos tonite that were becoming a PITA. They were about 14 weeks. One dressed out at 4.25 and the other at 3.5 pounds. They will be oh so yummy slow cooked on the rotisserie [​IMG] Only 7 more to go. Time to order some hens. Never again will I get chicks from TSC unless I want meat birds.

10. dancingbear

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Good, I'm glad you didn't get stuck with all Leghorns! You'll at least have a few that are meatier than those. White-tipped Cornish? Could that be white laced reds, maybe? You might want to keep one of those for breeding. A cornish roo over various hens, you can get some decent meat birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by