How many weeks should my chicks be before I feed them scrambled eggs .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spitman, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Can I feed them eggs at 1,2 weeks?

2. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I brought some hard boiled egg out to my broody who had just hatched chicks over the weekend. She crumbled it up and shared with the chicks. They are just a few days old, but seem fine after the treat. I hope mother knows best!

3. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    You can feed them scrambled eggs almost immediately. I've given scrambled eggs as well as crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk to newly shipped chicks with success. I've also given scrambled eggs to older chicks, and they've loved it.

4. renge

renge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Makati
    question... i might sound stupid and all, but why do you give eggs? and is it a must?? :|

5. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks guys, I use the eggs to get them eating out of my hand.

6. Butterfly Garden Girl

Butterfly Garden Girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    SW Oregon
    I'm going to give my one week old chickies some scrambled eggs tomorrow. I looked on their chick starter food bag and saw that it only has plant proteins, so the eggs will be a good complete protein source for them. I know that they are going to love them!

7. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Quote:You don't HAVE to give chicks eggs. Newly hatched and newly shipped chicks can use a boost of protein, especially if they are not eating the chick starter. Their most recent food -- and what sustained them inside the shell -- was the egg itself. It's kind of the whole "cow milk is for baby cows, chicken eggs are for baby chicks" thing. Feeding them a substance that now only has protein but also is something they are accustomed to, albeit in a different form, will help get them over the stress of shipping or the exhaustion of pipping.

Although I will point out that plant protein is indeed a complete protein... there are many egg farmers who raise their flocks solely on vegetarian diets. Many people, too. [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I feed mine scrambled eggs to mine right after hatch along with their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by