How many X's a day should I turn the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southern Chickens, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    How many times a day should I turn the eggs? I think that I might be doing it too much. I turn every four hours. I have read to only do it 2 times a day. Some charts that I have gotten say 3 times a day some say 5 times a day, I don't know!
    [​IMG]

I have hatched eggs, when I was a girl, it's been about 15 years, O.K... 20 years ago! I just can't seem to find anything that says for sure how many times a day to turn. I just keep finding conflicting information. Thanks for any replys!

[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The minimum is 3 X's per day. More is better and a hen will turn them much, much more (very likely hourly) - so I think you're fine and not turning too much. Good luck with your hatch.

Jody

3. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    If I am turning like the hen would, why should I stop turning on the 18th day? She can't know what day it is and if she can, does she really stop turning the eggs on the 18th day? If the hen doesn't stop turning them why should I?

4. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have often considered that very question. I think once the hen hears the chick peeping from inside the egg, she probably does stop. But no one really knows for sure. The main reason we stop is because you don't want to disturb the hatching environment once they pip.

Jody

5. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    So should I turn until they peep? What do you do Jody?

6. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I stop turning on day 18 or 19 - whenever I feel like getting around to it, I guess. But never later than day 19.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by