How many years will quails lay?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Caladrius, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Caladrius

Caladrius New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    For how many years will quail hens lay eggs? I am thinking of getting a few and I just can't find an answer for this question and I've heard that they only lay 1 or 2 years...........

Also I won't use artificial lighting (so thay can recharge)

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Quail generally only live 2 year or so. I keep my hens for 1 year and then butcher them as the laying slacks off dramatically after the 1 year mark. I hatch a new batch and as soon as they are laying I butcher the old hens.

3. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Without artificial lights quail will live longer. I've heard story of 5 yr old quail (coturnix) still laying eggs.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    There probably isn't a lot of info because it really depends on a lot of factors like quality of the breeding stock, living arrangements, diet, stress levels. etc.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    It does depends on a lot of factors. What lines they came from, some are bred for meat, some for eggs. Your lighter weight strains tend to lay better, longer. Don't get me wrong, the 2 year olds still lay ok that I have kept. Mine are 100% natural lighting and I've had some live 4 and 5 years and they do lay, but only 2 or 3 days a week compared to daily the first year. The end year is usually 4 to 5 eggs a week. It all depends on what your goals are with them. If you want pets that produce eggs then get a lighter weight strain bred for egg production and they will generally lay better for a longer time. The bigger meat strains don't lay as well as the others but do lay pretty well. Mine are the larger strain (jumbo) and typically by the time they are 1.5 or 2 they are laying 3 to 4 days a week at best. Looking at it from a production standpoint they are no longer needed as they are not producing enough compared to what they are costing in upkeep(feed,water,bedding, etc).

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by