how many?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Aug 1, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I am soon to be a mother of 13 (if they all hatch) Appleyards. We are going to give some away, and (sorry if it upsets...) use some for food. I want to keep a few for pets, but I want to keep the stench down. If you only have 2 or 3 ducks, monsters like the Appleyards, will the area get stinky very quickly? I've not set up the fence for their yard, so I can make it as large as necessary. So how bad can 2 ducks get? And will 2 be ok, or should I have 3??? and the ?'s keep coming....[​IMG]

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    You should have about 10 sq. feet per duck.... trust me, when they hatch you'll want to keep more than 3 [​IMG] . To keep the stench down, use baking soda....I doubt they'll all hatch, though....

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    X2. ducks really don't stink THAT bad, do they??

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Apperantly so... but I don't own ducks, but I sure wish I did! I'm also in 4-H, tinychicky! Chicken Chasers of New Haven County!

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I just got three 3 wk old silver appleyard bantoms. They are pretty poopy.

I would keep at least three in case something happens to one of them, you wouldn't end up with a solo duck. OR keep more until you know what the sexes are and then eat the boys and keep the girls for eggs.

6. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I just got three 3 wk old silver appleyard bantoms. They are pretty poopy.

I would keep at least three in case something happens to one of them, you wouldn't end up with a solo duck. OR keep more until you know what the sexes are and then eat the boys and keep the girls for eggs.

That is what we are planning to do. I'm going to wait until they feather out to dispatch, letting the most beautiful remain as pets and breeders.​

7. ladyfarmer10

ladyfarmer10 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    I have a few(29)lol mine free range so they are not smelly.But you will love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by