How many

The term 'successfull' is subjective. If you mean $-wise, I'd hazard a guess that not many are unless they are commercial. *I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO BE WRONG*
Personally, I consider myself successful because I sell enough to pay for their feed (when they aren't molting...
hit.gif
) & still have eggs for us to eat!
Life is good when you raise your own!

Quote:
No not money wise but can you sell eggs successfully or are you stuck with them half the time? I don't want to give eggs away for free though. I have troubles selling anything where I am. I don't want to get Bombay with eggs either.

Earlier this year I was making very little profit just above breaking even. This includes all cost feed, B.O.S.S. twice a day and bedding. Once my friends discovered our eggs tasted far superior to store eggs I could not supply the demand fast enough. At that time we were getting about an average of 2 dozen eggs per day. Currently with the molt I am lucky to get 4 eggs per day. If you have a surplus of eggs you can hard-boil them then feed the eggs back to the flock. Because I was selling them to close friends I only asked $3.50 per dozen however I have seen free range eggs sold for as high as $7.00 per dozen.

Fred's Hens :

Yes, our small business is successful and makes a small profit. Why do you ask? or perhaps, What is it you want know about the egg business?

I use to breed budgies and couldn't sell them so I gave them away free their were 14 of them I'm sick of giving away things for free.​

I sell all my hens will produce. Right now my older hens are molting and this year's hens are producing pullet eggs. I'm getting 16 to 18 eggs a day. I don't make enough to pay for all their feed, but it helps. I only get $2 a dozen (that's the going price in my area--wish it was a little higher), but my customers are happy and love the taste of the eggs from my chickens. Plus we have all we need and give eggs to my parents and one married son.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom