1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    I was wondering? How many silkie's would fit comfortably in a 6x8 coop, with a 10x20 attached run? I know the standard 2 sq for bantie's, and 4 sq for standards, but with silkie's not roosting will it differ.? I feel I'll be wasting alot of my coops vertical space with out the roosts etc?

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    The rule about 4 sq ft/bird (std size) and 3 sq ft/bird (bantam) in a coop means floor space l x w, not height.
    The same goes with the 10 sq. ft/bird for run... does not include height.

These are general rules, with suggested minimums. If your birds are overcrowded, they will be more likely to peck each other.

Bigger is better in this case.

I have a tiny little dark blue Silkie who likes to roost on top of the waterer. Some Silkies will roost, some like to pile on the floor.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have a Partridge Silkie roost but I think she never read the Silkie hand book lol

4. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    :So a 6x8 coop will house 16? Using the 3 sq requirments? I've heard 2sq, 2.5 sq, 3 sq?? per bantie. Uggh! Confusing. I know the bigger the better, but my Silkies are so different than my "normal" chickens, I thought maybe a Silkie expert would chime in and give me some help.[​IMG]

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    According to Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens:

Bantam Size 21 weeks and up:
    2 sq. ft per bird (open house)
    5 sq. ft per bird (confined housing)
    7 sq. ft per bird (caged)

I would still go by the 4 sq. ft per bird for the coop in case you ever decide to try other breeds. So many people on here say they wished they had made their coop bigger.

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:it could hold 12 easly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by