1. Candyhl

Candyhl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    How many chickens can a 4x8 coop accomodate? :/

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    The minimum suggested space is

2sq feet for bantams and 4sq feet per large fowl.

That would be up to 24 bantams (Though I would not advise that) or 12 Large Fowl birds.

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Yep, more space is better in the coop, IMO. We have just over 3 sq ft per bird (RSL's, so not over large) and there is some pecking and picking going on in there. Next coop will definitely be quite a bit bigger.

4. Candyhl

Sep 24, 2012
    Thank you. I'm just putting ideas together right now. I don't know yet what coop I'm going with. I have access to a large sturdy safe built "shed/coop" already here that our dogs used to sleep in, RIP both, but for it's size, about 10x12, my husband isn't thrilled about having to relocate it to the opposite side, about an acre away. Right now it sits just into the woods and not in a good spot for chickens with the predators around and too rocky to secure a run for chickens. But I'm looking at coops and might have a chance to get one that's about half the size that I'll have to pay for. Keeping in mind that this is my project and he is finding any reason why it won't work! I'll show him! I've wanted to get my own chickens for years and finally feel able. :)

5. Candyhl

Sep 24, 2012

I am also willing to start small and expand. My goal at this point is to have them for eggs and pets to a certain degree, maybe meat in the future. I didn't get to have any for my daughters growing up, but I will get to teach my grandson and granddaughter :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by