how many?

windnleavesfarm

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
central new york
How many chickens can you fit in a 8x12 coop? Please give me lots of feedback this is the biggest coop i own and built myself. it also is 6 1/2 feet high. we can always add on but money is tight. i make my money on egg sales and a few other things i do. im 17 and am trying to make my business grow bigger than ever. I spoil my chickens and other animals to the max!:) lots of feedback please!!!!

I think they say the standard is 4sq ft of indoor coop space and 10 sq ft of outdoor. So perhaps 9 chickens for you? I would definitely say, as a northerner with sometimes nasty weather, you do want to be cautious with stuffing them in as they get so cooped up come winter time and will start to beat up on each other. you don't want to deal with that as a stressed/dead chicken won't lay much for you anyway!

How many chickens can you fit in a 8x12 coop? Please give me lots of feedback this is the biggest coop i own and built myself. it also is 6 1/2 feet high. we can always add on but money is tight. i make my money on egg sales and a few other things i do. im 17 and am trying to make my business grow bigger than ever. I spoil my chickens and other animals to the max!
smile.png
lots of feedback please!!!!

As mentioned, the general rule of thumb is 4 square feet per standard-size chicken in the coop and 10 square feet per chicken in the run.

You said your coop is 8 X 12. That is 96 square feet. If you divide by 4 square feet, that means you have space for 24 chickens. This is true if you provide run space or allow your chickens to free range every day.

It was also good advice to consider how often you will have to keep the chickens closed up in the coop. If there are times in the winter when the chickens may have to stay in the coop for days, then you need to reduce the number of chickens you will have.

What type of chickens do you have?

I think they say the standard is 4sq ft of indoor coop space and 10 sq ft of outdoor.  So perhaps 9 chickens for you?  I would definitely say, as a northerner with sometimes nasty weather, you do want to be cautious with stuffing them in as they get so cooped up come winter time and will start to beat up on each other.  you don't want to deal with that as a stressed/dead chicken won't lay much for you anyway!

thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom