How many?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lizard Lady, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm already planning for my spring, and want to add ducks. I have five of us in our household, and currently have five hens and a rooster (may end up rehoming a couple hens because of lack of laying). Would just two ducks be a good starting place? I'm not trying to make money, just feed my family with food I know the origins of!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    2 ducks would be a great place to start, there are quite a few breeds of ducks that are great egg layers, I don't advise a drake though unless your planning on keeping the 2 species separate because drakes can and will try to mate with chickens and it is not a good out come for chickens.

3. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    I was planning on a drake, but I really don't think my rooster would be keen on someone making the move on his woman. lol

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just give them separate living quarters and most of the time if the drake has plenty of ducks he isn't as apt to go after the hens unless they are all enclosed together then problems will mostly arise. I have ducks/chickens and geese all together during the day time with lots of room for everyone to stay out of each others way. I haven't ever had a drake go after a chicken but have seen it on here quite often. It's rec. that for every drake he needs at least 3 or more ducks. Have you decided on a breed yet?

5. Lizard Lady

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm thinking of the Pekins. I want a good layer, a duck that will stay near the house, verbal when there's a threat, and one who will tolerate me and the kids. Good choice?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think so and you forgot to say and smiles, I think Pekins always look like they are smiling. and most ducks are noisy except Muscovy, but most of the time if there is a threat they won't make a peep so be sure to make their space as safe as you can because there are so many predators who will eat duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by