How mean are they?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dandydoodle, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Rat snakes, how mean are they???

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Some people swear they are evil.. but it's one of my preferred snakes for pets... I have had a few that were nippy at first (usually younger snakes).. but with some handling they turned into real sweethearts.
    We have a Texas rat who lives in our pump house.. she's very sweet.. the chickens don't mind her and neither do the cats.. you can walk over to her.. sit down next to her.. she will flick her tongue out a few times and just lay there.. have seen her and one of the cats sitting side by side (fur touching scales) and neither one cared.. sure she may eat a few eggs here and there.. but she helps keep the rodent population down.. so I like having her around

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have a rat snake here that I know has been making home here for 5 years. She's not skidish. From time to time she comes out and lounges around and watches me work. I'd say she's about 5 and a half feet. She shed her skin this year in my shed and it's around 2 inches in diameter. Not mean at all. Of course, her childern are around here too.[​IMG]

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    What do you mean "mean"? They will try and defend themselves if grabbed, but usually mellow out quickly with proper handling. Try to get the neck on the first contact, then support the body as you pick it up. Don't squeeze the neck too hard. I like to spread my fingers on that hand so it distributes the force.

My FIL has one that resides in an old cabin on their land. Whenever guests arrive he goes up and removes the snake from the toilet tank. He doesn't have to mess with controlling the head, just picks it up like a pet snake. These long guys want their body supported well.

See the thread I intended to say "Spanking" a snake - I messed up the title it says "Apanking". [​IMG]

5. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Sometimes you don't even need to hold them. If you can, stroke them with a stick until they feel pestered enough to leave. Sometimes they'll crawl right into a bucket or bag if it is the only cover available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by