How meny can I?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Girl, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    How meny can i get in a 10 feet wide and a 18 foot long chicken coop? I have about 21 nest boxes. And last year i had 30 chickens in it. And yes they all had a lot of room to move. But the layers were little. [​IMG] Thats a pic of them last summer. I dont know how many there are in that pic/ But there are 25 meat birds in the brooder. I want so get about 6-8 new layers and then we are going to get 20 meat birds. Plus i have 4 baby chickes now that my broody hatchted out. So what do you all think?

Thanks!

Chicken Girl

2. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    That's a gorgeuos coop! Looks like 180 sq. feet. Minimum 4 sq. ft. per bird, 10 if they are confined to the coop. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    well that seems a lot of room. I have 11 in the coop right now with 4 babys. Over the winter the all most never went out side. And i had 13 full grown chickens in the coop 24/7. [​IMG] that was over the winter. One chicken is missing in the pi cuz it died over the winter. And the Buff cochin hen later died. We have heat and a light. 4 sq.ft seems a LOT of room! LOL

Chicken Girl

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Assuming you have 2-3x as much run space available, then 180 sq ft would be room for 40something full-sized chickens if you want to give them 4 sq ft apiece. Some people (like me) prefer to give them more room, maybe a lOT more, which would mean fewer chickens; OTOH some people in very year-round pleasant climates get away with less room, which would mean more chickens.

Good luck, have fun, nice coop! [​IMG]

Pat

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  5. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! My dad did a great job on the coop! And i did the math and i can get about 45 full grown chickens in there! WOW!!!

Chicken Girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by