How months of the year

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lang4800, Jan 23, 2014.

1. lang4800

lang4800 New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    I am wondering how many months out of the year do they lay eggs. I know they vary per breed, I am looking specifically at the Rhode Island Red, or at least a general idea. Thanks

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

All older hens need 6 weeks off to moult, that is lose their feathers and regrow new ones. That doesn't happen until the bird is 18 months old.

All birds slow down in the fall and early winter as they are effected by less sunlight. If you artificially provide a light in their coop, laying is much better during those periods of long nights and short days.

As hens get older, laying decreases. It's just part of nature.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @Fred's Hens do you think supplemental light started in the fall, Sept/Oct, interferes with molting?

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm not Fred (but I can aspire to be, LOL) but I want to remind you that daylight hours begin to fall in July, so you need to start supplementing light in the summer so your daylight hours never decrease during the laying period.

My hens older all moult normally in the fall, and sometimes have a mini-moult in the spring. My first-year ladies lay right through the winter and moult in the spring, but that's normal.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, I realize that the days start shortening in July.

I got 18 month old hens last Sept. started increasing light in October, they molted but some did lay all winter.

I wonder if you started increasing light in July if it would keep them from molting?

Saw Fred's post here and thought I'd ask him, hope he sees it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by