1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much ACV?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dsbailey70, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I want to give my (6-7mo, 1yr, and two 13 wk old) chickens ACV. I use one plastic 1 quart waterer at a time. I bought Bragg's (raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, with the mother) ACV.

1. How much ACV do I add to a quart of water?
    2. How much to a gallon? If I mix a gallon, how long will it keep? Is refrigeration needed after mixing?
    3. For how many days, and how how often should I give it to them?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd put about a 1/2 to 1 tsp. in a quart. A Tbsp per gallon. It doesn't have to be precise but that gives you a guide to go by. I just pour in a small glug. ACV whether an open container or mixed doesn't need refrigeration. It will keep till they drink it all. Besides some health benefits, it keeps the waterer from getting slimy so fast. I still sterilize water containers about once a week and clean them every couple days.
    I may pour some in about every third container of water. I used to use it more often but I've since started fermenting feed and putting probiotics in the water occasionally.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Great, thank you! I'm cleaning one of the waterers now. I may mix a gallon just to set aside. How do you get probiotics into their water. I've given them plain nonfat yogurt before (they like that), but didn't know you could add it to the water.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wanted to add that I actually do refrigerate the open acv bottle but if I don't get it in there I don't freak out. Just don't let it sit out in the sun.
    The plain yogurt is good start.
    I used to use Bene-Bac powder for cage birds in the water. I found a probiotic powder formulated specifically for chickens. http://www.gro2max.com/
    It can be mixed with feed or water. One 100 gram packet will cover 28 gallons of water or 400 pounds of feed.
    Adding it to the fermented feed it goes even farther.

5. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    They like the ACV!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by