how much alfalfa to feed can I give?

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I got some alfalfa horse pellets that I am grinding up. I want to mix it in their feed. How much can I give them? like how much feed to alfafa(like 4:1 or 6:1)? Anyone know? I know I cannot give too much as it is so fibrous. My girls are not laying yet, so I have switched back to grower. I want to get more greens in them as their free ranging will have to be limited after predator issues. :( They love spinach but I don't always have it.

I did just this and way over-did it. I probably had 20% or more alfalfa pellets. They didn't like it. I later read you want to keep it at 5% or less. Some folks have said they soak the pellets and feed them separately, so they can choose what they want to eat. I will try this later this winter.

I did just this and way over-did it. I probably had 20% or more alfalfa pellets. They didn't like it. I later read you want to keep it at 5% or less. Some folks have said they soak the pellets and feed them separately, so they can choose what they want to eat. I will try this later this winter.

Thanks! Yes, my girls do not love alfalfa either. I have tried soaking it, mixing it with grains or yogurt and they don't love.

I got some alfalfa horse pellets that I am grinding up. I want to mix it in their feed. How much can I give them? like how much feed to alfafa(like 4:1 or 6:1)? Anyone know? I know I cannot give too much as it is so fibrous. My girls are not laying yet, so I have switched back to grower. I want to get more greens in them as their free ranging will have to be limited after predator issues. :( They love spinach but I don't always have it.

Where do you live.... Do you have lights in the roost so they will lay in the winter.... I have a bale of alfalfa in their run... They freely pick at it as they feel they need... And in the cold weather, they sit on the bales...

Where do you live.... Do you have lights in the roost so they will lay in the winter.... I have a bale of alfalfa in their run... They freely pick at it as they feel they need... And in the cold weather, they sit on the bales...
I live in east TN There is greenery still here but after some predator issues, their free range is very limited. :(

Do you think they like the bales better? I have the pellets. I saw two diff bales at the feed store-small ones you soak and the big traditional kind-what kind do you have?

I live in east TN There is greenery still here but after some predator issues, their free range is very limited. :(

Do you think they like the bales better? I have the pellets. I saw two diff bales at the feed store-small ones you soak and the big traditional kind-what kind do you have?

I have lights on in the coop... they come on a 12:30 AM until 10:00 AM and the sun sets at 4:30 pm.... 16 hours of light....

I grow alfalfa and put 40# bales in their run for them to pick at... they find leaves and stuff to eat and they stay busy picking... I don't soak the bales...

This is from the "LIVE CHAT" with Purina a week or 2 ago....

DrMikelleRoeder
Are you providing at least 16 hours of light per day? Without it, they will not lay.

I have lights on in the coop... they come on a 12:30 AM until 10:00 AM and the sun sets at 4:30 pm.... 16 hours of light....

I grow alfalfa and put 40# bales in their run for them to pick at... they find leaves and stuff to eat and they stay busy picking... I don't soak the bales...

This is from the "LIVE CHAT" with Purina a week or 2 ago....

DrMikelleRoeder
Are you providing at least 16 hours of light per day? Without it, they will not lay.

Thank you :) I Just got some lights-going to set timer and get them in the coop tomorrow. Sun rises at 7am and sets at 5PM currently.

Back
Top Bottom