How much? And a hatchery question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Aug 8, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Grit do they eat? I can only get "adult" grit and it's 7$ plus s&h for 5lbs. Could I use buliders sand/coarse sand? (5$ for 50 lbs, local.) Should I feed them soft sand as babies? What about crop impactions? And will coarse sand help their gizzards or whatever? LOL! or will it pass through uselessly? (SP?) And are their any good hatcheries for two female Cayuga ducklings?

2. treldib

treldib Songster

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    They will find grit on their own if they free range...it is not a necessity to give them grit...they can easily thrive without it.

Metzer Farms is by far the best place to get sexed Ducklings in my opinion.

www.metzerfarms.com

3. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    you'll be limited as to where you can purchase only 2 ducks. Many hatcheries seem to have a minimum order of 10 ducklings. Metzer is able to ship out less than that by using a little heat pack in the box with them (that sucker was still warm several days later!)

4. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    They Wouldnt free range. Anyone else?

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Yes, go for the hardware store. It's way cheaper. I've given builders sand to my babies when their were 3 days old, of course they only took really tiny amounts out of a very small glass jar. For the adults you will need the coarse one, but only if they don't have access to dirt outside like in winter or if they are house ducks.

6. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Are there Anymore? I want a lot of opinions just to be sure.

7. katharinad

Well, you can dig your own dirt and serve it up in winter. I may just do that, at least they get what they are used to from the summer. [​IMG]

8. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    So......sand is good and won't cause impactions of crops?

9. katharinad

I have not seen that. They don't eat that much, and I would always offer it as free choice and not mix it into their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by