How much? And a hatchery question.

percyj

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Grit do they eat? I can only get "adult" grit and it's 7$ plus s&h for 5lbs. Could I use buliders sand/coarse sand? (5$ for 50 lbs, local.) Should I feed them soft sand as babies? What about crop impactions? And will coarse sand help their gizzards or whatever? LOL! or will it pass through uselessly? (SP?) And are their any good hatcheries for two female Cayuga ducklings?

you'll be limited as to where you can purchase only 2 ducks. Many hatcheries seem to have a minimum order of 10 ducklings. Metzer is able to ship out less than that by using a little heat pack in the box with them (that sucker was still warm several days later!)

Yes, go for the hardware store. It's way cheaper. I've given builders sand to my babies when their were 3 days old, of course they only took really tiny amounts out of a very small glass jar. For the adults you will need the coarse one, but only if they don't have access to dirt outside like in winter or if they are house ducks.

Well, you can dig your own dirt and serve it up in winter. I may just do that, at least they get what they are used to from the summer.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom