how much and what time to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sydney13, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    right now im feeding store bought feed, free choice but ive decided im going to start mixing my own feed for my flock. i imigine it could be pretty expensive to get all those ingredients so i will probably restrict the amount of feed they eat instead of free choice. i remember reading some were you feed them only what they can clean up in 10 minutes. is this true? and what time of day should i feed them? mornings are busy so is it ok to give them feed in afternoon or evening?

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I would strongly recommend food available 24/7. Just my $0.02. If they don't get enough food you may end up with feather-picking and other unpleasant issues.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I like to keep food in front of them all day long. Chickens do not eat one big meal a day but sort of munch all during the day, filling up their crop, digesting it, then filling it up again. I don't know where you heard to only feed them what they can clean up in 10 minutes unless that was somebody talking about feeding them treats. That is a pretty good rule of thumb for treats but not for regular food.

I do not think that is true, to only feed them what they can clean up in ten minutes. I think you would starve them to death feeding them that way.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i could be wrong and it could have said 20 minutes i just don't remember [​IMG] my chickens free range all day so i thought they would get enough through out the day with a few handfuls of feed but i guess i should just let them have it free choice?

5. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I agree!!
    Quote:

6. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ok looks like i will feed free choice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by