HOW MUCH ANTIBIOTIC (mg) for injury

Sharylva

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Central Texas Hill Country
:oops:My Americana was attacked by a raccoon Wed of last week. All of her feathers under her left wing and across her entire side are gone and it is just raw skin. The injuries do not appear to be deep though. I brought her in the house the night I caught her getting attacked and she has not had any blood loss or oozing on the bedding. I have a very large dog kennel with a nesting box in it and have been keeping her in that. Shes doesn't like to be picked up (ever, not just with the injury) so trying to doctor her injuries are quite a chore. I have read on here that giving a hen an antibiotic after an attack would aide healing and help prevent infection. The lady at Tractor Supply said she agreed. I bought Duramycin-10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder). The package gives me ratios for the mg to vary the product from 100,200,400 & 800mg. For chickens it lists 2 diseases and gives dosage for those but does not give dosage for injury. She was walking around with a small limp until a couple of days ago. The last couple of days she has mostly been sitting. She can stand but I'm sure its painful. She seems alert and her eyes are clear with good movement.

Does anyone know if this is the right course of action and what mg I should give her if it is. If not, what course of action should I take? Please help me not lose her!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Have all the supplies listed on the post you referred. Going to wash it with the diluted iodine and give her a shot. Not sure which to try 1st, cleaning or the shot. Have waited this late to make sure she was as easy to move as possible. Wish me luck! Also on the post, in one place it says to use it ever other day and one place says not to use more than 4 days. What do you recommend? Thanks again for all the help. I don't feel helpless anymore. I sure hope she can recover. I only have 2 chickens and they are very much pets!
D.gif

Quote:
the post talks about puting a baby t-shirt on the wing if it is above the injury, that is the case, should I leave it on only for treatment or while the wound is healing?

Back
Top Bottom