How Much are Yorkies Going for These Days?

danrut101

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
I live in South Texas and my mom raises Yorkies. She sells all her pups for $600 each. She has a waiting list that is way too long for them and I keep telling her to go up on the price. So I was wondering if anyone knew the going price around the US.

Thanks,

Danny D

I have one I love dearly, J.R. is spoiled rotten, guess thats why he knows he is loved so much, You might check out the Dog forum, Just read the comments if you don't want to join.Price usually depends on the pedigree of the dog.You also might check the newspapers for their price.You might also talk to someone from yorkie rescue, they usually know the value of yorkies, marrie

you pay for what you get.
check out the breeder, they should have a health guarantee and they should let you meet the parents. If they are good breeders, they will stand by their product and be proud of what they sell. they should be interested in the people that buy them and they shouldn't just sell a pup to just anyone.
Never buy from a pet store.
check local breed specific rescues for pure bred or mixed yorkies. I have a blue yorkie (or silkie) at my shelter right now. Just google yorkie rescue and maybe you can actually RESCUE a homeless yorkie!
good luck.

I agree check with the pet sales in the local paper and with other area breeders. You get what you pay for. I know one lady sells her high to weed out the people looking to just breed and sell. Another sells cheap just to get rid of that litter. Was very lucky getting my male and female both One good thing if you raise your price and they don't sell you can always go back down. Never know till you try. But for my part of Texas (north east) you are a little on the low side most are going for the $800- $1500 range. Hope that helps some
Theresa

Has there been health testing? Different breeds are prone to dif problems -if your mom does the health testing then she needs to go up on her price.
Are any of these dogs shown? Showing dogs is very expensive not just $30 per class per day but then you need to buy the photo's (winner) at $30 each too! And then there's the travel too!
There is a lot of things to consider when pricing your dogs! If you have a quality breeding then best keep your prices up and be sure they get quality homes.
A waiting list is a good thing-many breeders don't breed 'til they have one and also they don't breed 'til they want a keeper puppy for their own.
JMO
B.

Thanks all. She really does it for fun and she refuses to go up, so I'll let her be as she loves her dogs and hates that she has to sell them at all. She would give them away if my dad would let her.

Danny D

I would assume show breeders get pretty good prices, but around here the locally advertised locally they average around $250-$350 (females higher then males). I would say it will vary quite abit by area.

As someone in the pet industry (and a Yorkie owner) I see so many people buy dogs for way too much! I think it is great that your Mother is letting them go for less than the market value. (I know it's not a profit for her) So many people can not afford a $1000 dog, but will provide a good home. Hopefully she is selling them as pet quality and not as breeding dogs.
GOOD FOR HER!!

Back
Top Bottom