How much aspirin? Hurt swollen leg 15 week old SS.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicole01, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My 15/16 week old SS got her leg caught and now is swollen a little. She is in the house on my lap not bearing any weight. I can tell it really hurts. I washed and put antibiotic ointment were it scratched on top of her foot. She's eating and drinking wonderfully in my lap.

Should I keep her in a kennel in the coop for a couple days? I'd hate to seperate her from the flock too long. She's an extremely quiet chicken, so she gave me no warning this morning she was stuck. I went out to visit an hour later and I saw her in the same spot, which is weird. I've solved the problem and no other chick will get stuck.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I dont recommend giving her anything for the pain. She needs to feel pain in order for her not to more seriously injure her leg more than what it is. She needs to be put in a cage or crate limiting her movements. She needs rest and relaxation for the leg to properly heal. You can place her in sight with the others. Provide her with food and water while caged. It'll take time to heal, there's no telling how long it will take. You can try to wrap and hold a cool compress on her leg to reduce swelling to see if that helps. Good luck.

3. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you!

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Every situation is different and must be dealt with accordingly, so here is our experience. About a month ago Eva went out to open the grow-out coop in the morning and found Blondie,our 10 week old Buff Brahma hanging upside-down with her leg caught between the wall and the board the roost pole was mounted to. She was barely alive and it was obvious she was severely injured with possible leg/hip damage. While many would have said to cull her she is our favorite of this group so we decided to save her if we could. She was barely responsive when we got to her!

Here is what we did.

We brought her inside and started dribbling sugar water on her beak to get her drinking while holding her to get her body temp back up. We fashioned a bed in a cheese box for daytime and a milk crate just big enough for her to lay in for nights. Once she was more responsive we continued to give her water and when she showed interest in food we crushed baby aspirin into powder and gave it to her on treats twice a day. The dosage was a guess but was about 1/4 of a baby aspirin every 12 hours, not as much for pain as it was to help with the inflammation. We gave that for about a week.

With everything posted about chickens that are away from the flock having to start over in the pecking order we started taking her out to the baby coop for a while each day,first for an hour and as she started getting better extended the time a little each day. After a couple of days she had gotten to where she could stand on the leg some and hobble on one leg but mostly just laid with her mates in the grass. When she was in the house she sat in her cheese box on the counter or on the desk by the computer(it's neat to note she did seem to enjoy watching the computer screen,esp. with games or bright colors).

Slowly she started regaining use of the injured leg/hip,first standing on it for longer periods,then walking short distances. Sometimes she would wave the injured leg,trying to get it do what she wanted several times before it would make the step. When outside with her mates she would follow them across the yard,although much slower. After a couple of weeks we returned her to the the baby coop full-time and she continued to get better.

Now,a month later she can almost keep up with the other girls and we have intergrated all the babies into the main coop. We even made a low roost pole for Blondie but to our surprise she was the first of the babies to roost on the high roosts!.

This process was a lot of work and might not be for everyone but if you have a favorite that gets injured you can do a lot for them. Our methods were hit-or-miss, a mix of what we learned here on BYC,from a couple of books and from our experience with dogs over the years,mixed with common-sense and a good bit of luck.

[​IMG]

Larry

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:What a great outcome from something so tragic. I'm very happy to hear your brahma pulled through. My SS had her foot caught in the roost as well. I don't know if was stuck all night or not. I took the roost down this morning and I'm going to have dh put a different one up, maybe I will wait a couple days. Therefore I will not have to put the kennel out in the coop. It's a bit too hot to be stuck in a kennel. My coop is 82 and the outside temp says 92 at the moment. Maple's foot is still a bit swollen. She is bearing some weight. I've been bringing her in the house for a break. We almost lost this poor chick when she was 4 weeks old. She came down with brooder pnemounia and was extremely sick for days! Maple is a fighter and doesn't give up easily!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by