How much Azithromycin can I give my 4 pound chicken

Queen Chicken

Chirping
Sep 20, 2017
My chicken was attacked by a predator less than 48 hours ago. She is picking up a bit but has a lot of wounds. I have been treating them with Neosporin (without the topical pain med) and giving her water by dropper when she won't drink on her own. I have 250 mg Azithromycin tabs that I can crush and put in water and administer with a dropper but I don't know how much to give. Help please?

I am not sure that it is used in chickens or birds. In small animals it is used at 7-15 mg once a day, but Plumbs Veterinary Handbook does not list any dosage or use in chickens.

I wouldn't suggest systemic antibiotics unless you see signs of an infection. They're hard on an animal's system, and she needs as little stress as possible right now, plus overuse of antibiotics is what leads to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Stick to topical antibiotics only.

Most people do not use or need antibiotics on a chicken with bite wounds, unless there is a wound infection. Usually, cleaning a deep wound with betadine or chlorhexidene initially, then applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day is sufficient.

Azithromycin is not without possible toxicity and side effects. If I had to use an antibiotic for an infection, I would try something like amoxicillin (FishMox available online.)

I wouldn't suggest systemic antibiotics unless you see signs of an infection. They're hard on an animal's system, and she needs as little stress as possible right now, plus overuse of antibiotics is what leads to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Stick to topical antibiotics only.
Thank you! All this information helps and is so appreciated.

Most people do not use or need antibiotics on a chicken with bite wounds, unless there is a wound infection. Usually, cleaning a deep wound with betadine or chlorhexidene initially, then applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day is sufficient.

Azithromycin is not without possible toxicity and side effects. If I had to use an antibiotic for an infection, I would try something like amoxicillin (FishMox available online.)
Thank you very much for your response. Am considering NO Azithromycin, only Neosporin.

Thank you for your quick reply. We really appreciate it!
I actually just had this prescrifor my chicken. She had a bacterial infection on her face from an attack. It was causing her to scratch until she would have seizures. (Stress & Pain can cause them to have seizures)
She was showing improvement by the next day. 200 mg of liquid form and give her give her .3cc once daily. She is also taking gabapentin for pain

Back
Top Bottom