1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much batter in bundt cake pan

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Andi, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to make a 10 egg pound cake for the first time this morning. I have a bundt cake pan but don't know if its too small for the recipe, which calls for an extra large tube pan. This is also my first time using a bundt pan. How do I know how much batter is going to be the correct amount to fill the pan but not over flow it as the cake rises? I have other pans to put extra batter in. Thanks.

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    That's sounds like a lot of eggs![​IMG] I probably wouldn't fill it more than 1/2 way. The eggs may make it balloon too much! Hopefully others will give you suggestions, too, so you can make a good decision.! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Andi

I just went to see how big the pan was to give you an idea. On the handle it says 9.75 X 3.38", which doesn't help me much. I read that the bundt pans are rated by capacity. This one holds 12 cups of water right up to the rim, if that helps.

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Hmmm...I'd still suggest filling only halfway and then just use the rest in another pan of some sort. I made a cheesecake yesterday with 5 small eggs in an 8" springform pan and I couldn't believe how high it got! Even my daughter said Whoa! It may deflate a bit while it's cooling, tho. Mine did.

5. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I have made this wonderful cake-it will make 2 bundt cake pans full! Fill a little better than 1/2 and it is glorious!

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I made a bundt cake last night and it got so big it overflowed the pan with just 6 eggs, I filled halfway....so I guess use your best judgement with the info provided. Hope that helps!

7. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Don't forget to grease/flour all the way to the top! It will rise all the way up!

8. Andi

Thank-you for the help everyone. I just made the batter and decided to put it in two pans.

[​IMG]

Once they are done baking I'll post another pic so other newbies can see how big they will get.

9. Andi

Oh! Seeing I split the batter up, should I reduce the baking time? The original recipe said 2 hours at 300 degrees but to check it after an hour and 45 minutes with a knife.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oooh, you did a great job there. Id just keep an eye on the cakes after about an hour, once they are turning brown on the top, I think you'd be safe in taking them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by