How much bigger are jumbo pekins then normal pekins..............?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
My friend is going to be getting some pekins and is going to eat them for cristmas. How much bigger are they then normal one? And how long does it take for them to get to slaughter weight?

I always wanted to know the difference to.
smile.png

Quote:
Ok. So how big will regular pekins be in two and a half months? And how big will jumbo pekins be in two and a half months?

The info I found says that pekins can reach 7 lbs (females) 7 1/2 lbs (males) at 7 weeks of age. That is supposed to be 75% of their adult body weight which would be a full grown duck of around 10 lbs. So I'd say, somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs? Maybe...
tongue.png

If Pekins are correctly raised, they are butchered at 8 weeks.

I butchered mine at 8 1/2 weeks and the finished ducks, without neck and giblets weighed about 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 pounds. The 3 largest ducks were not butchered. Drakes are bigger than ducks. The drake I kept was easily 1 1/2 pounds larger than the next largest drake.

Mine are regular Pekin, not Jumbo.

Be aware, the ones I kept eat like pigs. They are genetically programed to eat and grow. They are good at eating.

Quote:
she plans on eaying them around cristmas time. im not sure how many shes getting???? i think shes getting like 4? but not sure. if my mom lets me ill be getting my 2 buff ducks too!!! i soooooo cant wait!!!

thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom