1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much BOSS is too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by suzyQlou, Jul 1, 2011.

1. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    I've finally discovered my chick's favorite treat. They will move wherever I want them to move if I toss out some black oiled sunflower seeds. So now I'm a little afraid I've been overdoing it. In the morning, I need to move my girls from their bedroom (in the garage until I finish the coop...) to their tractor. In the evening, I move them back to their bedroom. I have 3 birds, and I've been using a two handfuls of BOSS in the morning, and two handfuls in the evening. Of course when my kids or their friends want to check out the chickens, I also let them feed them some seeds.

So, when I count it up, I see I'm feeding them about 6 handfuls a day. I keep the sunflower seeds in old margarine containers, so I can see they're not getting more than a cup a day. But, they only eat 3 or 4 cups of regular grower food a day. I still use their baby chick feeder because it's enough for them in a day.

Am I giving them too much?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Chicknes always love BOSS and it is good for them so it is a GREAT treat. They do nee dthe nutrition of their normal feed but I think a few handfuls a day will not keep them from getting their required nutrition

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    it appears (from time spent here) that treats should account for no more than 10% of daily feed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by