how much calciun does hens need to lay egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick_magnet, Jun 11, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I am about to buy some hens EE that are 4-5 months old. How much calcium would they need to lay eggs. I am thinking about buying layer pellets. how much should i feed them layer pellets do they need to consume per day? Also if i leave the Pellets all side will other animals eat it (bird or anything the is in the city)

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Layer feed should have enough calcium for them. Most people recommend to have layer food available freely and have some crushed oyster shell available at all times in a separate bowl so the chickens can 'supplement' as they need. I have layer food in the coop, the girls run loose in the yard during the day (as long as we don't have snow....) for 8-9 hrs and eat bugs and weeds but also eat their layer feed. I also keep a small bowl of grit available.

3. russ_t

russ_t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Taylor, Texas
    My birds produce nice thick shells with just layer feed. I do supplement oyster shell in the fall and winter when they have been laying a while. I read that they will lose bone calcium during the laying season and replenish it during the winter break. I want to ensure plenty is available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by