How much cayenne pepper /how administered ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have had chickens dying with what I am failry sure is 'blackhead'. I have read some post saying cayenne pepper has been used for this and other ailments. At this point I am willing to try anything. How much cayenne pepper do you give the chickens ? Do you just put in the the crumbles ? I am also treating this latest "acting different" chicken with Metronidazole 250 mg. Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I don't know if cayenne pepper would help now. The general idea with cayenne is to damage the oocysts that carry blackhead before it infects the birds. Also, if you're treating with drugs, best to not mix them with anything, as the results are often not great. You can of course try anyway, if you feel it's best. Sometimes what works doesn't seem to make sense for even hundreds of years. Explanations can be a long time in coming.

My own preferred treatment for blackhead is maybe not something you can access, but I don't know so will share it anyway. I give them a cup of raw cow's milk, not pasteurized or homogenized, that's had a teaspoon of honey mixed in and has been left to sit for a while and then had the fat scraped off the top.

That does it almost all the time. Sometimes it takes two cups. A very small percentage die anyway.

Giving them heat-treated or homogenized milk could be fatal since their liver is severely compromised with blackhead and the fats can kill them. I've tried giving it to them without scraping the fat off and they would rather die. So to speak; I just mean that they just refused it as a rule until I removed the fat. For this reason goat's milk may not be ideal as it's naturally homogenized. But I don't know for sure, I'm just saying what's worked for me.

If the bird is not eating, don't try to encourage it to, and don't force feed it, as fasting is one way the body defeats disease and force feeding is often more harmful than helpful. If it won't drink the milk, dip its beak in it (not up to the nostrils, but just so it gets a taste on its tongue) and then it will drink it willingly --- IF it has blackhead. But honey plus milk is great for many other issues too as it's readily bio-available protein, electrolytes, nutrients, cal-mag and so much more, which is just what a stricken animal often needs to tide it over.

Most grains are dangerous to birds with blackhead, so no corn, no sorghum, no wheat, no sunflower seeds. Rolled oats and millet are not detrimental in this stage, so it can eat those if it likes. Even once a blackhead sufferer is back on its feet, keep it on a simple, raw diet for at least a week, preferably a month, as it heals its internal damage; lots of fresh green grass, natural proteins (not pellets), are best. Hardboiled egg is a great recovery food, but raw is good too, if the bird wants that form of protein. Insects would be great unless they're the sort whose natural defensive mechanisms involve chemicals which are no trouble for a normal bird's liver but could do in a bird with a weakened and damaged liver.

None of my chooks have died from blackhead though, so I'm speaking about the treatment I've used on turkeys. I did have one rooster who was dying from something else get blackhead twice in a few days, but he was over it again almost as soon as the symptoms showed.

I give them fresh raw garlic regularly and kelp as well and that seems to take care of it. Only my turkeys were susceptible for a while. I also give my birds lots of herbs on a regular basis including cayenne, which helps with many diseases and potential heath issues, and I lime the grounds they're on a few times a year, so that also helps destroy blackhead and other parasite and diseases.

Just to be sure it's blackhead, can you describe the symptoms, including the poop's appearance? Heart failure can also look like blackhead, and so can a few other diseases or problems.

Best wishes.

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    About how much cayenne you give them: I would only give the bird a pinch for a start since I'm assuming you've never given it to them before. I would take it off pellets or crumble immediately. Such cooked and overprocessed proteins, oils and fats are bad enough for a healthy liver never mind one that's under a deadly assault. Chickens are often fed the exact diet doctors tell us causes heart and liver disease, but not many seem to realize that's one major reason why heart and liver issues are so common with poultry.

We need to be sure what's wrong before prescribing a potential treatment so please can you let us know what its poops look like?

Also, a few other questions.

Is it lying down/lethargic or acting relatively normal?

Is it still eating normally?

Anything else about its appearance or behavior or history you think may be pertinent even if it doesn't seem to be?

Thanks, hope your bird makes it.

4. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    THANKS ! for all your help and replies. Right now I don't know exactly what her poo looks like but her fuzzy butt, as of last night, does not yet have the sulfur colored poo that the others have had. This 'mystery' disease always starts the same way. The bird starts with a little 'off' behavior. If you aren't paying close attention it may not be noticed. i.e. not as anxious to run out of the coop as the others. sits around a little bit more, may quit staying with the rest of the flock.etc. This is a VERY slow decline over 3 - 5 days. Then noticeable lethargy starts, and the poo by then is sulfur yellow in color. Most of the birds continue to eat until towards the end. The last roo that died, a J.G., was very under weight even thought he was eating well,until his last few days. When I gave the hen her Rx last night she seemed underweight to me. I don't know exactly what this is ~ I have spent hours on the Internet researching ~ 'blackhead' keeps coming up. Castraphony (i don't think I spelled that correctly) i.e. Kathy in Gilmore, Ca. says sulfur poo is usually blackhead. Q> YOU SAID TO QUIT FEEDING CRUMBLES ~ WHAT SHOULD I FEED ? I agree we are feeding out animals AND OURSELVES too much junk. Okay, I am going to re-read all your posts and start my search for RAW cow milk. There are some cows in the area, maybe I can go milk one ahaha! Will fix sick hen some scrambled eggs with a pinch of cayenne for breakfast. By the way she is about 1 yr.old. I bought a VERY expensive dog that I really couldn't afford to guard my chickens. A Kangal ~ google it. Now I am not going to have any chickens to guard. Thanks again for you wonderful post and help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by