How much chicken feed do you go thru in a month

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Dec 26, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 20 standard layers and i go thru 3, 50 pound bags of layer mash a month. they have access to feed at all times. have two 12 pound hanging feeders in coop with lids on them. i fill half way up every couple two or three days. got to go to feed store today getting low. last time i bought some was day after thanksgiveing.

2. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    That sounds just right. Four ounces per day per bird on average. If it goes up dramatically, look for rodents. My feed consumption jumped my second year, and so did the local squirrel and chipmunk population! It got so bad here, I now scatter feed twice a day and cannot leave a hanging feeder. Rodent population has dropped off again, finally. Whew.

I average about 2 oz per bird per day in the spring, summer, and fall, as long as daytime temps promote insect activity and there is no snow cover. Once it gets cold, it approaches 4 oz per bird. I free-range in a large pasture, and they have access to a very large compost pile and get LOTS of scraps.

3. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    do you free range as well. I use much more than that and I do not free range.

4. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    do you free range as well. I use much more than that and I do not free range.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We are down to about 1000 pounds a month. Back last summer we were feeding around 4000 pounds.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have 28 chickens and feed about 4 bags per month so that sounds about right. I was using much more until I switched to pellets.

7. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    A little over 1 ton every 5-6 weeks give or take

8. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:they have a big fenced run to wander in so i dont know if you call that free range . but they arent locked in coop all day either.

9. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    50lb a month for 12 layers. They do free-range most of the day and get the occasional treats, scraps etc.

10. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    ok --- good thread- i must have a ton of rodents.

I am at 90 lbs a week for 35 chickens.
    I think rabbits are the problem. I have tried several rat traps and a small box trap and no luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by