How Much Chickens/Feed...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jen4, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    How many chickens do you have and about how many bags of feed do you go through in 1 week. I'm just wondering to see how I'm doing with my chickens, wanna make sure I'm feedin em enough...

Thanks [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I really don't keep track of feed anymore, but...a 50# bag of layer pellets last me 2 to 3 weeks in my adult coop - 13 birds. In my juvie coop, a 50# of layer crumbles last me about a week, week and a half. There are 21 birds in that coop. My adults free range all day. The juvies about 5 hours a day.

3. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    9 chickens 100# a month

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    hi jen. i have 20 laying hens and 1 rooster and im going thru a 50 lb bag layer mash a week. i have a trough feeder i made from a rain gutter and 2 hanging feeders that i keep full at all times. usually one 4 quart scoop of grain for each feeder in the morning and they are set for the day. they always eat all the grain from the trough feeder first before they touch the hanging feeders . because they can get to the grain better with the trough. i have some waste .

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    49 birds and I go through anywhere from 250 - 300 lbs a month! They free range from dusk till dawn!

6. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    I have 18 birds that free range 6-12 hrs each day. I use 50 lbs of feed for 2 weeks. They get a scoop of BOSS and a scoop of cracked corn each evening about 3 hrs before dark.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I wish I knew the answer to that question. My chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, sheep and goat eat this special mixture that I get from a mill. They eat 2000 lbs of feed in 1 month but I wish I knew how much feed the chickens ate alone.

8. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks Everyone... I guess I'm doing fine then with my feedin. I go through 100 lbs of layer crumbles a week, maybe almost 1 1/2 weeks and usually 50 lbs. of scratch every 2 weeks. I'm feedin 50 something chickens (hens, rooster, juvies), 5 ducks, 5 guineas (plus some of my neighbors that come over every mornin when they hear me out at the coops). Most free range every day , since winter I've only been lettin em out acouple hours a day. I'm keepin em in the coop and run til about 12ish everyday... maybe I should just let em out in the mornin?

I'm only gettin 3-6 eggs a day and I was just wondering if how much I'm feedin em is affecting the egg layin? I've got 30something layin girls........... wheres all my eggs, lol

So does this sound about right...... or am I feedin em too little or too much?

Thanks again for your help.

9. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:that sounds right im only getting 3-6 eggs a day from 16 right now too. im waiting on 4 more pullets to start laying soon.

10. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks blueseal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by