how much common sense does a duck have ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by someguyhere, Oct 18, 2016.

1. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    I know animals have instincts but how about common sense ? lol. I ask because Im watching my ducks today and when I let them out this morning it was only 29 degrees and they made a mad dash to the pond and have been there for most of the morning ! Im not really sure they have even gotten out I only assume they have. I have been conditioning them for winter since I got them kinda late in the year. they are 7 weeks old but have been outside full time since about 3 and a half weeks. they have all their "teenage" feathers already and all preen themselves very well. I worry a little that as its gets colder they will stay in that darn pond. am I over worried ? they will get out if they get to cold right ? lol sorry Im a newbie at this

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

We have snow...Temp here yesterday was a balmy 2 degrees Celsius ....I filled the pool...Cold tap water...They swam and had a Duck pool party....I think yours are fine...

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Unless they have full molted and have the water resistant feathers, I would not let them get into water that is too cold because they are not full insolated yet. They might be just fine but if they start shaking I would bring them inside and warm them up so that they don't get hypothermia or anything.

1 person likes this.
  4. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    they are still out there loving life lol. so i guess i wont worry about it. they have their water resistant feathers and dont ever seem to be wet, just to me it seems a bit cold but they are not shivering or look un comfortable. Il just keep an eye on them and the weather. thanks for the replies :)

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I find that young ducks do not have much common sense and you really need to monitor them closely to see how they do with the temperatures. Sometimes they'll just stay in the water until they are absolutely freezing and can barely move, not realizing that they should have gotten out and dried off long before to warm back up.

At that age I would let them out to bathe in the pond for a short time, then make sure they all get out and dry off/preen and stay dry for awhile. Watch them all closely for any signs of shivering or lethargy, meaning they are getting too cold. If all seems well, you can let them stay in the water longer. I just always err on the side of caution with young ducks going into their first winter until I (and they) know their limits.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by