How much compensation for chicken killed by loose dog?

Green myrtle

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
This weekend 2 escaped Great Pyrenees Killed one Chicken and maimed another

owners have taken responsibility and say they’ll compensate.

we don’t knowhow to value this loss. Any ideas?

more than just the cost of a new chicken of course, our time dealing with it, stress Etc

The live chicken was bit pretty bad but is eating and drinking, can stand for only a short time, limp is improving, decided she wanted to go in the yard today, but major gashes and defeat hearing on her back. Testing her with bactine spray.

Something that would affect my answer is your relationship with the dogs' owner. My neighbor has told me their dog would probably go after my chickens if they were out and he saw them. That's one reason I don't free range; another reason is the other predators on the ground and in the air by me.

But if their dog did get one of my birds, I would accept whatever they offered, as I place a high value on them as neighbors.

The fact that the owners of the dogs who attacked your chickens are taking responsibility for what happened says a lot about what kind of people they are.

Unless you're in a jurisdiction that values pets as more than just property (and being that they're chickens, they might not even qualify as "pets"), you're probably legally entitled to the replacement cost of the bird as well as medical expenses for the one you're nursing. So if a new bird of same age and breed would cost $40, that's what the value of the deceased one is.

You can of course ask for more, but be reasonable about it. These folks might be willing to compensate for a little extra for your distress, but ask for too much and it'll be "See you in court."

Breed and age of the bird matters in how much it cost to replace it. Also your relationship with the neighbor, because I have a few neighbors that wouldn't pay a cent and a few others that would pay through the nose by me shopping chicken breeders who sell the same aged/breed of chickens.

The hens are at peak value right after they start laying eggs. It cost more to raise them in backyard setting than in commercial setting, a lot more. I get $18 per bird pretty easy and not making a profit, just covering feed. It is the time and labor that can be stressed, especially if you can say the same type and age of bird can not be readily purchased locally. Being able to get same bird for $25 by taking a 2 hour drive makes $25 an underestimate.

Whatever you ask, it is often best to have justifications quantified in case needed. I have have gotten $100 a few years back for loss of a single bird. That was after I shot dog. In that case the dog owner was concerned about legal action because dog had killed before with another neighbors chickens.

Back
Top Bottom