How much corn should I be feeding my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ruby Mia, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    I have ten chickens and was wondering what time of day and how much corn I should be feeding them daily because I have a feeling I'm giving them too much. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens should not be eating only corn. They need a balanced layer pellet or crumble that is at least 16% protein and no more than 20%. Corn only has 8% protein, half as much protein, plus it doesn't have all of the other grains, vitamins, and minerals they need. It should be free fed in a chicken feeder. They won't gorge on chicken feed like they do on corn or scratch.

3. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    I also feed them layers pellets which they have access to all day and they also free range a lot.

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I feed my chickens layer pellets which are available all day and are fed half a cup of cracked corn a day.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Honestly, my chickens get very little only what is the handfuls of scratch they get daily. They don't even seem fond of it. They have access to grower 24/7( i don't use layer here) and do well.

6. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    That's great help, thanks for the replies!

7. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
    I have 15 birds, and give them corn only in the winter months, about a cup an half later in the afternoon. Helps keep them warm at night. But during the summer I'll give throw them some scratch that has as less corn I can find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by