How much could it smell?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 20, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, so im sure some.of you heard about the lone khaki campbell duck egg I have. Well yeah its all alone cuz all the rest rotted. This little egg is forming great!!! Im pretty sure it will hatch.

My problem is: me my mom and my sibs and grand parwnts are going up to upstate new york and I really want to take the duckling with me! My mom said I can but as long as it wont stink. Im just cuirious how mucbecuz I really want it to bh 1 duckling will smell in rubbermaid tub? I want to bring it with me becuz if I dont it wont want to be with me and it wont be attached to me like I want it too! Please help me?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    It all depends on YOU making sure the ducklings tub is cleaned daily and the duck exercised out of the tub in an enclosure.

If you plan to take the duck for a long ride, make sure that it has plenty of water and food for the trip.

If you will be away for sometime, you will need to bring extra bedding, food, etc. "Mom" may not like that so much....... better ask.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I already did ask. And dont worry I will pack tons of stuff for it. [​IMG]

4. Chickie_Banana

Chickie_Banana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Ducklings are very smelly unless you clean the pen several times a day, they make a mess of their water and poop a lot.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So if I bring enough bedding to change It every day thats not enough?

6. Chickie_Banana

Sep 6, 2011
    Quote:It depends on how much water you provide it with. If you have water out all the time, by evening it will be quite messy. If you only water it every few hours it will be less messy.

7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:Each time a duckling poops it smells. And depending on the duck the smell could be pretty bad. If you dont want it to smell then every time the duckling poops you will have to clean it up and change bedding.

A long trip like that could be pretty stressful on a newly hatched duck to.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Each time a duckling poops it smells. And depending on the duck the smell could be pretty bad. If you dont want it to smell then every time the duckling poops you will have to clean it up and change bedding.

It wont be a newly hatched duckling? It will be 2 weeks old when we leave. If we bring air freshener do you think it will make it smell better.

9. Chickie_Banana

Sep 6, 2011

It wont be a newly hatched duckling? It will be 2 weeks old when we leave. If we bring air freshener do you think it will make it smell better.

An air freshener only covers up the smell, sometimes it makes it worse [​IMG] I imagine it would be stressful on the duck no matter what age, newly hatched, teen or adult.

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:It wont be a newly hatched duckling? It will be 2 weeks old when we leave. If we bring air freshener do you think it will make it smell better.

An air freshener only covers up the smell, sometimes it makes it worse [​IMG] I imagine it would be stressful on the duck no matter what age, newly hatched, teen or adult.

agreed. My indoor duck was close to 2 months before it went on a 20 min car ride

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by