How much cracked corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Oct 10, 2008.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I'm giving my chicken layer pellets and I want to give them cracked corn so they can stay warmer in this cold we're having. We're in the 20s in the morning. I have 14 chickens, how much cracked corn should I give them a day?

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The corn won't keep them warmer, extra calories will!!! Just keep their feeder full, monogastrics have the ability to consume enough feed to meet their energy needs.

Jim

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

monogastrics have the ability to consume enough feed to meet their energy needs.

Jim

Jim, that's fine about monogastrics, but we're talking about chickens here. This ain't www.backyardmonogastrics.com!

[just kidding, I thought you were going to go on a false rumor of corn-raising-body-temps rant]​

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. francisfarms

francisfarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2008
    this what I give my chickens, 8 cups cob, 8 cups layer, 8 cups scratch, 8 cups regular grain for like horses etc. plus they get to free range. I fill up the pig feeder on Monday and I don't add more til WED or Thursday, This is for 10 ducks and 10 chickens. I took away the pool for the ducks so now they don't make such a mess in the pen. I just have to keep refilling the bucket. I have to figure another way to water them this winter cuz it is starting to be a drag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by