How much damage do newly hatched chicks do knocking about in bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pumpkinpup, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If you are hatching eggs and the new hatchlings are playing incubator soccer with the other unhatched eggs in the bator, how does it effect your hatch results? I have always wondered this but don't know the answer. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's why I now hatch in an egg carton. My hatch rate has went up a lot since I quit laying them on their sides.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I also hatch in a egg carton. The chicks will crawl up an stand on the eggs but they can't send them tumbling.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Hummmm.... Can I do this even after the eggs have been incubated on their sides for the first 18 days? I have incubated in cartons before but never on there sides and then swithced to cartons for hatch.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Okay so I did the egg carton method this time for hatching...
    help me with this.. I had them in a turner for 1-18, then just put them normally (pointed side down) in the egg carton. Should I lay them on their sides, or tilt them, or??

I have more in the hatcher now, I left them in the turner and just unplugged it so it's not turning... how will that go? Lol

christina

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I hatched in the carton one time and it didn't go so well [​IMG]

maybe i am doing something wrong?

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    What happened to make it not go so well, Birdboy?

The only problems I've ever had were some that pipped on the wrong end. You cant' see that when they're in a carton. But, typically if they pip on the wrong end, there's an issue...and I do not help.

Last time, I did notice one that pipped on the side, way toward the bottom. So, I went against my better judgement and removed the egg and just laid it on its side; it pipped and began zipping, then died. I opened it up, and sure enough, there were intestines on the outside. [​IMG]

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    when i did mine i had chicks getting stuck in the egg.. they would get there heads out but they couldn't get the rest of there body's out the egg and would be trying to do so for hours...

then the way my bator is with the water... the cartons kept getting wet then next you know the entire carton would be wet...

i have about 17 or so egg due next week and i was just going to lay them on there side but i don't know i am still thinking about it

9. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I just layed mine on their sides this time. It's a new bator, and I'm just not sure. But now I want to go put them in egg cartons. It's so much easier. It just stresses me out seeing them play kickball with all those eggs.[​IMG]

Paula

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    When y'all put the eggs in cartons for hatching do you have the thermometer egg level or you have it laying on the tray?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by