How much DE and where?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by viktoriacl, Jul 18, 2010.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I just got a big bag of food grade DE and have been reading a lot on here about all the places to put it. I'm just not sure if it should be everywhere or just in some of those places....food, shavings, in the dirt they lay in....? How much??? How often?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't use it with little babies. Their lungs are just to small to handle the dust, imho.

With the big girls, it goes EVERYWHERE!! I just grab and fling. On the chickens, nests, roost, dog, bedding (throw some scratch here too and they will toss it for you) husband (he got in the way) run. I also mix some in the feed to take care of bugs.

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Bet my husband would love that! Lol. Mine are 8 weeks. Is that too young?

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    were did you get your DE? I found some stall dry witch has DE, but am having a hard time finding food grade DE

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I put mine in squeeze bottles that I got in the 'wedding' section of the craft dept. at WalMart. Makes putting as much or as little as you want really easy. I think the bottles were for icing but they are perfect for DE. I even used the bottles to make little 'puffs' of it in my tomato plants. Works great.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Like CoyoteMagic I use it liberally once a month on all surfaces the chickens come in contact with. I even sprinkle it in the run. I also place some in the areas the birds dust in. That way their feathers and skin get treated and I don't have any problem with mites, fleas, or mites.

7. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm a newbie. What is DE?

8. sweet-tea

sweet-tea New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    I am also a brand new "Chicken woman" and I have to ask what in the world is DE ??

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You really want me to try to spell it??!!

Diatamatious Earth Spelled entirely wrong.

AKA --shell flour

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    diatomaceous earth spelled right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by