1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much DE to add to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greenmulberry, Sep 5, 2007.

1. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    How much DE would one put in a quart of feed? I thought I had read 2% of the food should be DE, but that works out to be 4 and a half teasopoons, which sounds like a lot!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's really not much at all. I don't even measure it; I just eyeball it. I scoop my feed with a gallon pitcher and just dump some in, maybe less than a 1/4 cup. I may not do it every time, though, maybe ever other scoop. It doesn't have to be exact, just an estimate of 2%.

3. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well- I've seen lots of places that say 2% and recently saw a ranch that uses 2% for most of their animals but use 5% on their chickens!

Now...I freerange and my chickens hardly eat any feed...so i had to switch to putting the DE into their treats. I figure about 1tsp per chicken....it's always a rough estimate.

One way to know if it's enough...if you see signs of worms or runny poops...you need more.

Sandra

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Do you put the DE in everytime?? I havent put it in their feed I have put some in their water... ok so if you mix it with their feed .. that would be one pound of DE to 50 pounds of feed?? or did I miss something??

5. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I mis the DE into the feed. I use the 2% rule. Which is 1# to 50# of feed. But I must confess, like Speckledhen I sometimes eyeball it.

6. Chvywmn

Chvywmn New Egg

Apr 26, 2007
    Berwick, ME
    I have a silly question...what is DE??

Thanks!

7. Billina

Billina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2007
    I agree with the silly question - what is DE? And while we're at it, what is DH?

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  9. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I think DH means Dumb husband..lol

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007