1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much DE to use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Invertalon, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Invertalon

Invertalon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I just received my 10lbs of DE to use in the coop, and was wondering how much of this stuff to really use?

I sprayed a decent layer over the entire run (sand and dirt) and lightly blended it in with a rake. I then added another light layer on top and lightly worked that in as well. But I am not really sure how much of this stuff I am really to use? I heard of adding it to the run, coop boxes, etc... Dusting and such, but never a rough idea of what I should put. I did not really put a lot I thought... Wondering if I should put a top layer and leave it? And once the dust settles let the birds in? (They were out in the garden while I cleaned/prepped the coop).

Tonight/tomorrow I am going to clean out the sleeping area/nesting box and add a layer of DE inside with new pine shavings and such... Do I just spray a nice layer inside and fluff it around? Let the dust settle and allow them in afterward? They don't go inside the nesting area until sleep time anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you used it exactly as needed. A light dusting under bedding on the floor and then you can sprinkle some on top. Some in the nesting areas. You really don't need a whole lot. It will all get distributed as the chickens move around and scratch.

And yes, you nor the chickens should breath the stuff as it will cause respiratory issues. But it will settle down pretty quick. I think you have a handle on it! [​IMG]

3. Invertalon

Invertalon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks!

I used a respirator when I added it in the coop, was pretty dusty but settled pretty quick. I just did the nesting box and did a "white wash" of the DE prior, let dry, and then added shavings and powder form of the DE. Let it air out for 15-20mins and allowed them inside. Took them another 20-30 after that to finally make it up there! But its all clean for them. See how it does with the flies and such, the other day they were quite bad. I cleaned all the poop, and added 5 bags of sand on top to help. Want to add another load of sand in the next few weeks to finish it up.

One more question, should I dust all the boards around the bottom of the coop? The perimeter? Or should I just leave it in the bedding and such?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can use DE where ever you have a wetness problem, mite issues, you can spread it in the run, just about anywhere. Some folks even put it in the feed to control internal parasites. But this statement has never been proven to work. (You have to have "food grade DE" to do this.) But it helps to use it on all surfaces. [​IMG]

5. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    I use DE exactly as you are. I clean out the house once a week, remove all bedding (straw) and clean out the dust bath. I dust DE everywhere including between cracks, joins of wood, nesting boxes and on the perches.

Once the bedding is back, I dust again with DE, including the dust bath.

Once a week the chickens get dusted with DE as well, including their legs and feet.

I also use the Food Grade DE in their feed.

To date, things seem all quiet on the parasite front [​IMG]

6. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

I had the same question in the past, and get differing replys. I generally use a wire mesh bowl to help spread the DE around the coop after cleaning. Just a scoop or 2 and then just shake the bowl around and ...nice even coating all around. I was told to use medical grade , not sure what the difference is. Sounds like you are doing a fine job.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by